Jusunlee.com Forums
Show all 17 posts from this thread on one page

Jusunlee.com Forums (https://www.jusunlee.com/forums/index.php)
- Anime (https://www.jusunlee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=41)
-- subtitling or dubbing (https://www.jusunlee.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1013)

Posted by volcom strider on 04-24-2002 04:30 PM:

subtitling or dubbing

subtitling, english voice-overs plain out suck.

Posted by TAIgrr on 04-24-2002 05:35 PM:

i think dubbing would be hella better off cause TWO reasons

1.you cant understand them otherwise
2.you have to READ AND look at the action

but if you dub..

1.its sounds funnier.. (it just does alright??)
2.no reading

GENERATION X is hella tight movie with hot guys

Posted by seung ju on 04-25-2002 12:27 PM:

i hate dubs, the acting is terrible 99% of the time.

Posted by tm11 on 04-26-2002 08:49 AM:

if as much attention to detail was given to dubbing in America as it is in Japan, some dubbing would be good, but I like subtitles more.

One dub I saw that I enjoyed was of the Princess Mononoke

I don't know if Metropolis was dubbed, but I'm sure if they did it was a well-done job. I want to see that movie.

Posted by PsychoSnowman on 04-26-2002 11:33 AM:

yeah, if the dub is good though i like it better. Though if i have seen the show in japanese i tend to like the other voices better, and have a preset disliking towards the english voices that i try to avoid. On the contrary though, Yu Yu Hakusho has voices fairly similar to the japanese show. I've noticed dubbing has now taken on the form of mimicing the japanese voices nowadays. It's getting better, especially in games like Final Fantasy 10 which i was unsure of before i played it.

But subs are a safe thing to go for

Posted by Alchemist on 04-29-2002 11:58 AM:

well, if you have trouble decideing, go with dubbing in english and having the origional language at the same time (it's funny) also have subtitles that are in Italian

Posted by annabanana on 05-01-2002 10:53 AM:

the movie Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon had english subtitles at the movie theaters. but when it came out on video and DVD, i watched it with English dubbing and Korean subtitles. anyway, i like the subtitles, cause it makes that chinese movie seem more real.

Posted by Alchemist on 05-01-2002 02:30 PM:

yeah it does

Posted by volcom strider on 05-01-2002 04:37 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by annabanana
the movie Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon had english subtitles at the movie theaters. but when it came out on video and DVD, i watched it with English dubbing and Korean subtitles. anyway, i like the subtitles, cause it makes that chinese movie seem more real.

note the forum labeled: Anime
even though you have sticked to the subject. the technicality of point of this thread is voice-acting in anime vs. subtitling.

this doesnt goes out just to you, your post was the first i read. i was just using your post as an example. this goes out to everyone.

Posted by michelle on 05-02-2002 03:35 AM:

Angry

i had to watch the NeonGenesis Evangelion dubbed and, yuk, the story has to be somewhat serious but the voices make me sick. then i changed to subtitle and that was better. and it costs more to buy dubbed video/dvd anime. others i watched was all dubbed- i think this horrible world began with that Sailor Moon on tv. not sure why they would use such voices.
SUBTITLE IS MUCH BETTER.
i saw Princess Mononoke, well good actors were all on for it. how many anime would there be to get such a treatment?!

Posted by Locke on 05-02-2002 09:08 PM:

almost all anime fans prefer subs because american voice actors sux major balls. There are some anime where dubb is okay like Ranma. Metal Gear Solid had good voice acting also.

Posted by zerobde on 05-03-2002 04:07 PM:

dubbing sucks! i'm for the original all the way. personally, i don't think us americans can express the amount of energy that japanese voice actors portray. subtitling all the way

Posted by Knov1 on 05-11-2002 12:44 AM:

I watch a lot of anime dubbed but sometimes the english voices just ruin the anime for me. There are some animes like DBZ and Ceres Celestial legend that are much better if you watch them subtitled.

Posted by KPOP101 on 05-14-2002 11:30 AM:

I guess I prefer subtitles. Sumtimes the dubbed voice overs seem akward at times.

Posted by KeN VeRsUs RyU on 05-14-2002 11:41 AM:

well as far as anime go.. dubbing is ok as long as it matches the character and the actor or actress does a good job dubbing.. the only one i can really think of is princess mononoke and akira.. they did a pretty good job with the voices..

as far as foreign movies go.. subtitles.. always..

xanga.com/an1_mixtape

Posted by daNNy LuV 1TYM on 05-14-2002 02:10 PM:

subtitles definitely

Posted by aznkid1008 on 05-14-2002 02:42 PM:

dubs subtitles all the way! r u nuts u want dubs go watch godzilla lolz

Remember the heros
Remember the lives
Remember the day
God bless