Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Interests > Technology > Linux Mandrake 9
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sangxjin

Linux Mandrake 9

what you guys think?
i just got it but didnt have the time to install it on my linux box. the gui (kde or gnome?) looks very clean and simple.
btw. anyone install lindows 2 yet? if you did tell me what its like.

Props To Huby

Last edited by sangxjin on 10-22-2002 at 12:15 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-22-2002 12:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sangxjin Click here to Send sangxjin a Private Message Visit sangxjin's homepage! Find more posts by sangxjin Add sangxjin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DaWhim
Da Hong Konger

i have redhat downloaded, dun have to time to try it :sad:

Old Post 10-22-2002 01:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DaWhim Click here to Send DaWhim a Private Message Find more posts by DaWhim Add DaWhim to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sungkim

Don't even bother with Lindows... It's not a stable OS. It's nothing more than something to fill your curiosity with and have something which other people don't. An OS that runs like Linux but runs all Windows apps... sure it be nice but it's not even close.

Are you putting on Mandrake for a personal workstation ?... If so then good choice otherwise (for a server perhaps) I'd say go with Debian or forget Linux all together and go with BSD Unix. Also, as a suggestion, when you install Mandrake, just install what you need. For example why do you need Gnome and KDE ? I believe it installs generic XWindows as well. We'll good luck and have fun setting up your new rig... Glad to see another convert from the Windows world... =D

Mandrake is just good because it's really simple to install and packages a lot of the common software for you. If you really want to get into *nix enviorments and learn what it's about, download something clean like what I mentioned above. I would prefer BSD over Linux but thats up to you. You can then learn more about the administration side of *nix OS types as you install the components yourself. You can always install Gnome or KDE on your own. The way I see it... whats the point of installing a "pre packaged everything done for you" operating system thats less utilized than the more popular Windows ? I think the whole learning experience is the main reason for doing so and installing something like Mandrake doesn't help much in that area. Just my thoughts...

Last edited by sungkim on 10-22-2002 at 09:42 PM

Old Post 10-22-2002 09:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sungkim Click here to Send sungkim a Private Message Find more posts by sungkim Add sungkim to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sangxjin

haha alright. thats true about lindows. i just wanted to see what it would be like. oh and about mandrake. im using it for my home rig. its nothing special but i might use it for file share/printer because my moms getting a laptop. who knows. oh yeah btw. about freebsd. i obtained a copy of 4.7 but im just too lazy to copy it to cd and install it. and why the hell are there so many disks for suse linux 8.0? whats it good for? and about kde and gnome. im doing it because its going to make me feel at home. (as in windows environment)

Props To Huby

Last edited by sangxjin on 10-22-2002 at 10:01 PM

Old Post 10-22-2002 09:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sangxjin Click here to Send sangxjin a Private Message Visit sangxjin's homepage! Find more posts by sangxjin Add sangxjin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote