Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > General > Random Thoughts > 3 million in Seoul at risk of net addiction
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
rhymester*
$$$$$$$$$$$

3 million in Seoul at risk of net addiction

DEC 8, 2002
3 million in Seoul at risk of Net addiction
With half the nation wired up, the government has set up a counselling centre to tackle the disorder

By Caroline Gluck
IN SEOUL

SEOUL - For over three days in October, Mr Kim Kyung Jae, 24, was holed up in an Internet cafe in the city of Kwangju playing computer games.

He played virtually non-stop, taking only toilet or cigarette breaks.

He collapsed after 86 hours at the terminal and later died.

His mother Choi Yong Soon is still trying to make sense of his death.

'I told him not to spend so much time on the Internet. He just said 'Yes, mum', and kept on playing,' she said.

His death is an extreme example of a growing problem in South Korea - Internet addiction.

South Korea is one of the most wired societies in the world. More than half the population has access to the Internet.

Over 10 million people have high-speed Internet services and there are more than 25,000 24-hour cybercafes, known as PC bangs.

Said detective Hong Gun Hee, who is investigating Mr Kim's death: 'These days, there aren't many places where young people can go.

'PC bangs are open 24 hours a day - and there is every potential that another case like this could happen again.'

With more than 30 per cent of Internet users here thought to be at risk of addiction, efforts are under way to try to tackle the growing problem.

In April, the Centre for Internet Addiction Prevention and Counselling - the first such government-funded body - began operating.

Psychologist Lee Sujin of the centre says young people are most at risk.

He said: 'We diagnose Internet addiction as a compulsive disorder like pathological gambling or eating disorder.

'Youngsters who become obsessed with the Internet do badly at school, have less interaction with their family and friends and get lonelier.

The centre's experts say Internet addiction has less to do with the number of hours spent online - addicts typically spend more than four hours - and more with the central role that computers and the Internet play in his or her life.

Symptoms include preoccupation with the Internet, inability to perform routine tasks, and nervousness and anxiety when not online.

At a counselling session, Ki Kyoung Soo, 17, admitted he typically spent half a day online.

'If I went home at 5 pm, I'd play until 2 am. In the holidays, I'd play until 5 am - 12 straight hours,' he said.

'I had trouble sleeping. When I was in bed, I would stay awake...just wanting to play games again. It's very addictive; I want to try to stop.'

But counsellor Lhee Hurn Gyu, who holds the weekly sessions, said he was not advocating a ban on Internet usage.

'We're not trying to stop Internet usage altogether,' he added.

'The Internet is something we live with and we need to use. What we are trying to do here is to control and reduce the time that people spend on the Internet.'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright @ 2002 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-08-2002 02:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rhymester* Click here to Send rhymester* a Private Message Find more posts by rhymester* Add rhymester* to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crazydeb8ter
administrator

amazing..and pathetic, people who can't control themselves

"The weight of this sad time we must obey,/ Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say./ The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/ Shall never see so much, nor live so long."
King Lear (V.3.300-304)

Old Post 12-08-2002 11:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazydeb8ter Click here to Send Crazydeb8ter a Private Message Find more posts by Crazydeb8ter Add Crazydeb8ter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
saranghae

wow...

Old Post 12-09-2002 12:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for saranghae Click here to Send saranghae a Private Message Find more posts by saranghae Add saranghae to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Captain Korea
L.A.'s Worst

Damn, I'm gonna die now

Old Post 12-09-2002 01:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Captain Korea Click here to Send Captain Korea a Private Message Find more posts by Captain Korea Add Captain Korea to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rawr itz errinn
Rawr~ SX! vrooooom!!

that's kinda funny.... how can you not get sick of being online 24/7?? hmph...

Old Post 12-09-2002 01:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rawr itz errinn Click here to Send rawr itz errinn a Private Message Find more posts by rawr itz errinn Add rawr itz errinn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
merdawg
: My Avatar is So CUTE :

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Korea
Damn, I'm gonna die now

uh-oh, that goes for me too

"Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable. " - Bruce Lee

Old Post 12-09-2002 01:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for merdawg Click here to Send merdawg a Private Message Find more posts by merdawg Add merdawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daNNy LuV 1TYM
. : c r y : .

dang thaz scary...dying cuz of bein addicted to the comp?? *shudders*

Old Post 12-09-2002 02:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daNNy LuV 1TYM Click here to Send daNNy LuV 1TYM a Private Message Find more posts by daNNy LuV 1TYM Add daNNy LuV 1TYM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aznkid1008
God is my judge

wow thats pathetic...
to die from playin video games

Remember the heros
Remember the lives
Remember the day
God bless

Old Post 12-09-2002 02:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aznkid1008 Click here to Send aznkid1008 a Private Message Find more posts by aznkid1008 Add aznkid1008 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
castle outsider

yea i know..tahts really interesting..

Old Post 12-09-2002 03:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for castle outsider Click here to Send castle outsider a Private Message Visit castle outsider's homepage! Find more posts by castle outsider Add castle outsider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MiGhTy KiTTy
*MeOW* ^^

dang thats crazy. haha

Propz to Sam. yayy~ haha

-----------------------
my xanga that i finally put up~
*MeOw MeOW*

Old Post 12-09-2002 04:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MiGhTy KiTTy Click here to Send MiGhTy KiTTy a Private Message Find more posts by MiGhTy KiTTy Add MiGhTy KiTTy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
YaaMaKoh
spiritual life mod

i got dat prob too... if it werent for my mum, id be dead by now ^_^;;

actually, i do control myself, i play 2-3 hours a day depending, cause theres nothing to do after u finish ur hw and all.

Old Post 12-09-2002 08:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for YaaMaKoh Click here to Send YaaMaKoh a Private Message Visit YaaMaKoh's homepage! Find more posts by YaaMaKoh Add YaaMaKoh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
krnxswat
what a joke!

quote:
Originally posted by YaaMaKoh
i got dat prob too... if it werent for my mum, id be dead by now ^_^;;

actually, i do control myself, i play 2-3 hours a day depending, cause theres nothing to do after u finish ur hw and all.

lol yeah yeah andy
i used to b online lioke 24/7 but not nemore
like 3 hrs a day? ^^;

Old Post 12-09-2002 10:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for krnxswat Click here to Send krnxswat a Private Message Visit krnxswat's homepage! Find more posts by krnxswat Add krnxswat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TyGer STyLe
no longer a couch jockey

how do you spend 3 days straight online??? thats terrible... no wonder he died... no social life...

Old Post 12-09-2002 10:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TyGer STyLe Click here to Send TyGer STyLe a Private Message Find more posts by TyGer STyLe Add TyGer STyLe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aint she pretty

pple should listen to their parents... tisk tisk

Old Post 12-10-2002 12:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aint she pretty Click here to Send aint she pretty a Private Message Find more posts by aint she pretty Add aint she pretty to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
az0nd2r3

dangggg....buh i kno sum ppl who are lyk dat, so i can understand....

Old Post 12-11-2002 10:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for az0nd2r3 Click here to Send az0nd2r3 a Private Message Find more posts by az0nd2r3 Add az0nd2r3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
uNiece
GOING DEEPER

wow.

He remembered us when we were in trouble. His love continues forever. PSALM 136:23

Old Post 12-13-2002 12:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for uNiece Click here to Send uNiece a Private Message Find more posts by uNiece Add uNiece to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote