Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Interests > Technology > how to connect 2 computers with dsl
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
kptiger

how to connect 2 computers with dsl

i have a computer with dsl and im getting another one soon. What exactly do i need for the dsl to be on both computers? thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-16-2002 04:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kptiger Click here to Send kptiger a Private Message Find more posts by kptiger Add kptiger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sangxjin

i got a workgroup hub and got the line running from the ethernet card into the 1st port in the hub and the line from my dsl modem into the uplink port and i got the line from my other comps ethernet card into the 2nd port in my hub.

its not that hard when u buy it becomes it comes with directions and all.

i bought a kit from linksys that came with a 5 port workgroup hub, 2 ethernet cards and some wires and the manuals and stuff for around 80 bucks..

someone told me i should've bought a line splitter but i have 3 comps all hooked up to the hub so i cant split one line..or can i?

Props To Huby

Old Post 05-16-2002 02:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sangxjin Click here to Send sangxjin a Private Message Visit sangxjin's homepage! Find more posts by sangxjin Add sangxjin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micron
all i need is a miracle

eh. you need a router to act as a gateway connecting to the internet (wan). in most consumer products, the router will come with the hub. but you cant buy a hub alone, or youll have two indifferent ip addresses which you will have to pay extra for broadband connectivity.

Old Post 05-16-2002 02:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for micron Click here to Send micron a Private Message Find more posts by micron Add micron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sangxjin

i bought a 5 port workgroup hub, and i hooked it up to 3 comps and i still pay the same price for my dsl..

i dunno, i didnt get a router..routers cost more and when i asked the guy that worked there he said this hub should work, and it did

Props To Huby

Old Post 05-16-2002 05:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sangxjin Click here to Send sangxjin a Private Message Visit sangxjin's homepage! Find more posts by sangxjin Add sangxjin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micron
all i need is a miracle

quote:
Originally posted by sangxjin
i got a workgroup hub and got the line running from the ethernet card into the 1st port in the hub and the line from my dsl modem into the uplink port and i got the line from my other comps ethernet card into the 2nd port in my hub.

no. you have a router alright. you just dont know about it. a hub only has lan ports and doesnt have an uplink port for wan connectivity. in your case, just like i said previously, the router comes with the hub.

in any case, if you dont want to buy a router-hub, you can get only the hub and then get 2 nics for a computer that you want to act as a gateway, one for lan and one for wan. then you designate that computer as a proxy server.

Old Post 05-16-2002 06:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for micron Click here to Send micron a Private Message Find more posts by micron Add micron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kptiger

well i got my new computer and im gonna try to get dsl on both computers tomorrow. Hopefully it works. I have the dsl on my old computer (windows 98)...and my new one is windows xp. This doesnt matter right?

Old Post 05-17-2002 05:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kptiger Click here to Send kptiger a Private Message Find more posts by kptiger Add kptiger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Drunken Master
Umm... Yeah...

Or you can just buy another network card and buy a crossover cable. That's what i did...
So, who cares if there's no firewall for my other computer...
At least i don't have to pay 100 bucks (canadian) on a router or a hub...

I got two computers connected to cable but the problem is is that when the main computer's off, the second computer can't use the internet connection. It's a small set back but I really don't care.

Old Post 05-17-2002 06:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Drunken Master Click here to Send Drunken Master a Private Message Find more posts by Drunken Master Add Drunken Master to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sangxjin

quote:
Originally posted by jusunlee

no. you have a router alright. you just dont know about it. a hub only has lan ports and doesnt have an uplink port for wan connectivity. in your case, just like i said previously, the router comes with the hub.

in any case, if you dont want to buy a router-hub, you can get only the hub and then get 2 nics for a computer that you want to act as a gateway, one for lan and one for wan. then you designate that computer as a proxy server.

o sorry...im not good with computers.

Props To Huby

Old Post 05-18-2002 01:17 AM
kptiger

man i have a usb dsl modem and the network doesnt work :( This sucks

Old Post 05-18-2002 06:06 PM
Drunken Master
Umm... Yeah...

Oh yeah, you have to configure some stuff in windows...
Go do a search in yahoo on networking with win2k/winxp/win9x.
That's how i figured out how to network my computers...

Thanx to that, I can use one printer to print off of two computers!

Old Post 05-18-2002 07:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Drunken Master Click here to Send Drunken Master a Private Message Find more posts by Drunken Master Add Drunken Master to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kptiger

ok i got a fast ethernet switch....i followed the pictures and hooked up the ethernet wires and stuff. It works, thats all i had to do, no configuring or whatever!

Old Post 05-26-2002 10:47 PM