Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > General > Random Thoughts > Katrina
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
aaronnn
Suby!

Katrina

damn devastating..

its sad to see all this going on down there, hopefully things will get better soon.

but whats with the gas gouging?
damn and people were complaining about gas prices a year ago when it hit 2 dollars a gallon. now its pushing 4 dollars and its killing me.

now i wish i had my little I-4 back..

what do you guys think of the situation in New Orleans?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-09-2005 05:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaronnn Click here to Send aaronnn a Private Message Find more posts by aaronnn Add aaronnn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MellowYellow

failure to utilize government funds and resources?

From what I hear... "they" [i'm assuming they meant officials] knew that "a big one" was going to come sooner or later. Something about not utilizing public transportation to get "poor" [sorry sorry sorry sorry] people out of the area. If you don't have a car ... it's not like you're going to walk out of there. [Pause]

I think I definitely have a bit of biased point of view. Even still it was a natural disaster. It's not like it could have been PREVENTED. Maybe if evacuation could have been more effective. The property damage is inevitable... but all the deaths didn't have to be.

Old Post 09-09-2005 07:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MellowYellow Click here to Send MellowYellow a Private Message Find more posts by MellowYellow Add MellowYellow to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaqthree
3 Newtons

At this point I'm not sure if it matters what they could have done. The whole city was only prepared for a category 3 hurricane - so much damage could have been prevented if they had simply prepared better. So I don't think that talking about what they could have done is really effective, we all know that they could have done a lot more, that's always the case. What needs to be examined is what is currently being done, and whether or not it's the most effective way of saving as many people as possible.

Personally I'm not quite sure if that's an answerable question, but I do think it's probably the most important one at this time.

Old Post 09-09-2005 07:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaqthree Click here to Send aaqthree a Private Message Find more posts by aaqthree Add aaqthree to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MellowYellow

quote:
Originally posted by aaqthree
So I don't think that talking about what they could have done is really effective, we all know that they could have done a lot more, that's always the case. What needs to be examined is what is currently being done, and whether or not it's the most effective way of saving as many people as possible.

Hmm okay agreed that discussing what they could have done doesn't help this situation HERE AND NOW... But I think that if what you're trying to say is that we don't need to analyze what failed to happen [and a lot of it is due to broader social issues race social status... etc]... you're wrong. What do you think sociologist do?

Anyhow in response to the latter half of your comment: Well Bush is... and survivors are... and.. haha.. ^_^ 신글 벙글~

There is just sooooo much to look at here... so much is going on... my head hurts [soompi answer? lmfao... sorry >.<]

crap someone want to do a once over on the economic impact of miss katrina?

Last edited by MellowYellow on 09-09-2005 at 08:23 PM

Old Post 09-09-2005 08:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MellowYellow Click here to Send MellowYellow a Private Message Find more posts by MellowYellow Add MellowYellow to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaronnn
Suby!

I dont know about what they could've done to prevent the situation, but no one did anything to help the situation by sending people down there soon enough. it took what? 4 to 5 days for the government outside of New Orleans to answer to this?

its ridiculous how no matter what the mayor of new orleans did or said about the president, he still didn't recieve any answer or help. its pretty ridiculous how he had to curse out bush and the government for him to finally get some help..

did anyone watch Kanye's response to all this? even if its hard to believe since its was pretty senseless for him to say, the late response of the president kinda proves Kanye's statement.

for those that haven't heard about what Mr. West said during the interview, here's a quick recap.
Kanye was supposed to read a scripted statement about the whole katrina incident. after he was finished with the scripted statement, Mike Meyers read his statement. as soon as Meyers closed off, Kanye quickly added "President Bush doesn't care about black people".

this stirred up some crazy controversy. i wonder what the president actually thought of this. I dont know what he could say since its true that he took no quick action towards this, but then again he never has an immediate response to anything.

Old Post 09-10-2005 04:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaronnn Click here to Send aaronnn a Private Message Find more posts by aaronnn Add aaronnn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaqthree
3 Newtons

quote:
Originally posted by MellowYellow
Hmm okay agreed that discussing what they could have done doesn't help this situation HERE AND NOW... But I think that if what you're trying to say is that we don't need to analyze what failed to happen [and a lot of it is due to broader social issues race social status... etc]... you're wrong. What do you think sociologist do?

That's just politics. You can always say that in retrospect. Right now it's unimportant; we just need to make sure what needs to be done is being done.

quote:
Anyhow in response to the latter half of your comment: Well Bush is... and survivors are... and.. haha.. ^_^ 신글 벙글~

There is just sooooo much to look at here... so much is going on... my head hurts [soompi answer? lmfao... sorry >.<]

crap someone want to do a once over on the economic impact of miss katrina?

Heh. Good answer. Again, I don't think it's answerable; we don't know exactly to what extent the government is helping out the poor and the ones who do/did not have the means to evacuate.

As for the economic impact, I've heard as many as 400,000 jobs may be lost due to Katrina. But analysts all seem to say that there is little long-term significance to it ("significant but not overwhelming" is the phrase I read regarding overall economic effects).

The problem I see, though, that likely will not be mentioned, is that much of that region was already very poor and doing very low-income jobs to begin with. How many of those 400,000 jobs will be lost by families who cannot afford to lose even the tiniest bit? How many of those families will now dip under the poverty line just because of that?

Old Post 09-12-2005 05:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaqthree Click here to Send aaqthree a Private Message Find more posts by aaqthree Add aaqthree to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MellowYellow

quote:
Originally posted by aaqthree The problem I see, though, that likely will not be mentioned, is that much of that region was already very poor and doing very low-income jobs to begin with. How many of those 400,000 jobs will be lost by families who cannot afford to lose even the tiniest bit? How many of those families will now dip under the poverty line just because of that? [/B]

That's what we were basically discussing in my soc class. Well as much aid that they proclaim is out there.. it just isn't getting to the right people... that's politics too. Unimportant... I don't... think it is?

On the other hand there are some gruesome stories. Did anyone hear about the nursing home? Man that's just horrible.

Old Post 09-13-2005 01:12 AM
aaqthree
3 Newtons

quote:
Originally posted by MellowYellow
That's what we were basically discussing in my soc class. Well as much aid that they proclaim is out there.. it just isn't getting to the right people... that's politics too. Unimportant... I don't... think it is?

On the other hand there are some gruesome stories. Did anyone hear about the nursing home? Man that's just horrible.

I didn't mean all politics are unimportant. But that, generally, a lot of people are talking about "Oh, look at how Bush mishandled this situation, blah blah blah" just as a political stance simply because they dislike Bush's politics. But really, who cares? What did and did not happen is not as important as figuring out what is happening and what will happen. It's just very political to say "Why didn't anyone think of the poor black people? Why didn't we do ___ for the poor black people? Oh it must be because they're poor and black, and our government is rich and white."

Basically, I do believe that, perhaps, there may have been some "broader social issues" (to use your words, if you don't mind) at work before, but there's no actual way to prove it, or even suggest that it's more than likely. The only thing we can say is that we believe that it's possible for the government to have done less than it was capable of doing simply because the people in the affected region were poor and black - we cannot, however, say that it's a certainty and there's really no potential for analysis there anyway; we can only say that it's possible. It's also possible that the government was simply negligent and the fact that they were poor and black had nothing to do with it.

More to the point, I do not think it's the same issue as discussing how the families, especially those that were already poor, are going to recover. I'm not even discussing it politically, though, certainly, politics can come into play here. Where the aid goes to is definitely a political issue (one I consider very important).

Old Post 09-13-2005 04:20 PM
tea
Official Pothead

"George Bush doesn't care about black people"

Old Post 09-17-2005 11:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tea Click here to Send tea a Private Message Find more posts by tea Add tea to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MellowYellow

quote:
Originally posted by tea
"George Bush doesn't care about black people"

LMFAO... that kanye.

Old Post 09-19-2005 02:38 AM
aaronnn
Suby!

come on now.. Kanye was telling the truth.

look at all these new articles and stuff about racism coming back because of this. it is pretty messed up.

kanye is right about black people being not cared about, but just pointing fingers at the president wont do anything. yeah bush isnt the brightest, but i doubt hes a racist.

Old Post 09-19-2005 05:18 AM