Jusunlee.com Forums
Show all 7 posts from this thread on one page

Jusunlee.com Forums (https://www.jusunlee.com/forums/index.php)
- Enlightenment (https://www.jusunlee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=17)
-- never see a mirror (https://www.jusunlee.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=6167)

Posted by Zero-Sen on 10-04-2002 04:07 AM:

never see a mirror

my friend was explaining this to me:

you never SEE a mirror. you only see a reflection off of it.

whoa. lol. i feel enlightened, don't you?

Posted by PsychoSnowman on 10-04-2002 10:07 PM:

well, if it's dirty even a little bit you do see it. I guess you can focus on the mirror itself besides the macro image of yourself if you get what i mean. You'd still in a sense still only see the reflection, but that would be not focused cause you are looking at it more microscopically. Yeah, that sounds rather dumb, but i don't feel like thinking about it more right now.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Posted by saranghae on 10-05-2002 01:33 AM:

wow... i never thought about it that way...

Posted by Alchemist on 10-05-2002 02:50 AM:

But if you only see reflections. Couldn't you say that you don't see anything because all you see is light reflecting off things? Mirrors reflect "images" but it's just re-reflecting light from the "image" it reflects.

I think.

Posted by merc on 10-05-2002 05:59 AM:

First off lets consider what a mirror is...
it is a surface capable of reflecting sufficient undiffused light to form an image of an object placed in front of it.

One could clearly argue that a mirror is an object, a noun from this definition. But lets see it in a different light... :D

Consider this, the surface of a highly reflective mineral, such as obsideon or iron could be called a mirror. So from one aspect, when you are looking at the so called "mirror" you are merely looking at the obsideon or iron. The term "mirror" serves more as an adjective in this case, therefore you cannot be seeing IT, or looking at IT.

So in a sense, your friend was correct when she claimed that you never actually see a mirror, only reflections (image - the only tangible noun or [thing] in the scenario. )

"Truth is not determined by how many people believe it."

"All the darkness in the world can not extinguish the light of a single candle."

Posted by DEmeant0r on 10-05-2002 12:10 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by merc
First off lets consider what a mirror is...
it is a surface capable of reflecting sufficient undiffused light to form an image of an object placed in front of it.

One could clearly argue that a mirror is an object, a noun from this definition. But lets see it in a different light... :D

Consider this, the surface of a highly reflective mineral, such as obsideon or iron could be called a mirror. So from one aspect, when you are looking at the so called "mirror" you are merely looking at the obsideon or iron. The term "mirror" serves more as an adjective in this case, therefore you cannot be seeing IT, or looking at IT.

So in a sense, your friend was correct when she claimed that you never actually see a mirror, only reflections (image - the only tangible noun or [thing] in the scenario. )

I guess you did a little research on this lol

Posted by Jj2 on 10-06-2002 11:22 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by DEmeant0r

I guess you did a little research on this lol