Bored? Come in and play at Jusunlee.com Arcade! Go chat in Jusunlee.com Chatroom (requires AIM) Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Jusunlee.com Forums > Interests > Technology > what's a good site host
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

what's a good site host

What's a good free website hoster thingy that has decent amount of memory and the URL would be nice and short like
www.(site name).webhost.com
And would let my site show up in search engines

instead of the crappy angelfire site i'm stuck with which doesn't even show up when you search for it using a search engine and the URL is long as hell www.angelfire.com/crap/crap/morecrap/crap/sitename

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-28-2002 03:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
saranghae

brinkster.com is pretty good... but i'm not sure if it would show ur site up on engines.

Old Post 08-28-2002 03:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for saranghae Click here to Send saranghae a Private Message Find more posts by saranghae Add saranghae to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
seung ju

a lot of free hosts dont submit your site to search engines. they usually say if they do tho.

thanx huby40

Old Post 08-28-2002 04:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for seung ju Click here to Send seung ju a Private Message Find more posts by seung ju Add seung ju to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-DraGoNz
Music/Multimedia/Lyricism

i like brinkster.com as well. if you want a shorter URL, sign up for redirection. go to cjb.net

you can make your URL www.namehere.cjb.net

and brinkster gives 35 megs with no pop-ups ^^

http://www.mcjdragonz.com

http://www.dynamicvocalz.tk

http://www.streetmaderecordz.tk

Old Post 08-28-2002 05:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for J-DraGoNz Click here to Send J-DraGoNz a Private Message Visit J-DraGoNz's homepage! Find more posts by J-DraGoNz Add J-DraGoNz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

Oh our main concern is being able to show up on search enginges, then the URL is our 2nd urgent objective.

Thanks for your help. Any other recommendations?

Old Post 08-29-2002 05:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alchemist Click here to Send Alchemist a Private Message Visit Alchemist's homepage! Find more posts by Alchemist Add Alchemist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PsychoSnowman
Debate Mod

search engines don't manage themselves through random searches though, you have to submit your site to a search engine. A couple years ago it was free by most places, now i think you have to pay for some of them (ex. altavista). It's not angelfire that doesn't not get you recognized on a search engine, it'd be impossible for them to find it...so you have to submit it. I believe that is correct.

"Those womyn that seek equality with men, lack determination."

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be wrong."
-Cromwell

Old Post 08-29-2002 09:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoSnowman Click here to Send PsychoSnowman a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoSnowman Add PsychoSnowman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
seung ju

try using meta tags. dont know much about them cuz i never used them, but i think they're supposed to help your site show up on random searches.

thanx huby40

Old Post 08-29-2002 09:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for seung ju Click here to Send seung ju a Private Message Find more posts by seung ju Add seung ju to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micron
all i need is a miracle

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSnowman
search engines don't manage themselves through random searches though, you have to submit your site to a search engine. A couple years ago it was free by most places, now i think you have to pay for some of them (ex. altavista). It's not angelfire that doesn't not get you recognized on a search engine, it'd be impossible for them to find it...so you have to submit it. I believe that is correct.

nowadays, most serach directories are managed and ran by spiders (bots) that automatically follow through all the links of the internet. theoretically, all the sites in the internet should be reached by these spiders but that is hardly so, especially when considering personal webpages where there is seldom links to it from the rest of the internet. one of the few working search engine directories that is still managed by live humans is yahoo.com. so if you submit to yahoo.com and get successfully listed (youll have to wait 1 or 2 months), you will be indexed by other search engines who will follow through to your website through that link.

quote:
Originally posted by seung ju
try using meta tags. dont know much about them cuz i never used them, but i think they're supposed to help your site show up on random searches.

meta tags were used back in the mid ninties. they are no use nowadays because of spamming. one can easily get a very high rank in a search result while it may have nothing to do with the query by repetitively putting the query between the meta tags. its a good and novel concept theoretically, but hardly so in reality.

quote:
Originally posted by Alchemist
Oh our main concern is being able to show up on search enginges, then the URL is our 2nd urgent objective.

Thanks for your help. Any other recommendations?

if you want a short url to your website, i can provide you with a subdomain webspace for just 5$ a month for unlimited space and bandwidth. plus, ill ensure that you get listed in major search engines within 2 months.

Old Post 08-29-2002 09:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for micron Click here to Send micron a Private Message Find more posts by micron Add micron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

How do you submit sites to search engines?

Thanks for the offer Jusun, but I have no money. Plus my site isn't extremely good so I can't take the risk sorry.

Old Post 09-11-2002 02:54 AM
micron
all i need is a miracle

quote:
How do you submit sites to search engines?

Thanks for the offer Jusun, but I have no money. Plus my site isn't extremely good so I can't take the risk sorry.

you dont need to. like i said, all you need to do is submit your site into one of the portals still managed by humans. yahoo is great but it would take atleast 2 months for your site to get added, and even taht isnt a garantee. go submit yoursite to dmoz.org. thats the pinnicle of all portals managed by humans. google directory integrates it and if you successfully get listed there, all the other search engines will automatically include your site into their search listings.

but again. its not a garantee taht your site would be added so dont get too disappointed or offended if they decide to reject the site.

Old Post 09-13-2002 02:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for micron Click here to Send micron a Private Message Find more posts by micron Add micron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

Ok thanks man.

Old Post 09-13-2002 03:25 AM
Prototype

dont use any of those.

email hosting@projectbeta.com for name.projectbeta.net hosting.

Old Post 09-13-2002 04:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Prototype Click here to Send Prototype a Private Message Visit Prototype's homepage! Find more posts by Prototype Add Prototype to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
volcom strider
I'm going to be blind

quote:
Originally posted by Prototype
dont use any of those.

email hosting@projectbeta.com for name.projectbeta.net hosting.

Old Post 09-13-2002 04:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for volcom strider Click here to Send volcom strider a Private Message Find more posts by volcom strider Add volcom strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PakChunhui1983

Jatol Services

www.jatol.com

They have different plans. Plus, the help support via AIM or ICQ is very good.

Old Post 09-14-2002 05:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PakChunhui1983 Click here to Send PakChunhui1983 a Private Message Find more posts by PakChunhui1983 Add PakChunhui1983 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

Ok I e-mailed Project beta. Hopefully my site will be up there yay!

Old Post 09-15-2002 03:22 AM
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

Is the FTP thingy free?

Old Post 09-16-2002 01:15 AM
volcom strider
I'm going to be blind

quote:
Is the FTP thingy free?

you mean the ftp program? should be.

Old Post 09-16-2002 06:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for volcom strider Click here to Send volcom strider a Private Message Find more posts by volcom strider Add volcom strider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alchemist
3 Coulombs

Yay, by the way, is that you who responds to the project beta e-mails?

Old Post 09-17-2002 02:58 AM